Dr. Franklin Nyabuga Profile
Name: Franklin N. Nyabuga
Department: Biological Sciences
School: School of Pure and Applied Sciences
Area of Specialization: Entomology
Contact Address: PO BOX 1490, 00100 Nairobi
Holds a PhD from Friedrich-Schiller University in Jena - Germany, a Master in Crop protection and Bachelor of Science (Agriculture Education and Extension) both from Egerton University, Njoro. For both Masters and PhD theses, I investigated various aspects of arthropod biology including population genetics, evolution, behavior and ecology. Also held two postdoctoral positions in Sweden at Lunds University and Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences - Alnarp, and researched on insect olfaction and communication, biodiversity and conservation.
Insect – Plant interactions, Insect – Insect interaction, Insect communication, ecology, evolution, biodiversity and conservation.
Publications in Journals:
- Larsson MC, Harvey D, Burman J, Svensson GP, Winde I, Nyabuga FN, Andersson K, Musa N, Forsmark B, Jansson N, Westerberg L, Andersson F, Hedenstrom E, Bergman KO, & Milberg P. (2015) Pheromone-based monitoring: a game changer for saproxylic insect conservation.
- Nyabuga FN, Carrasco D, Ranåker L, Andersson MN, Birgersson G, Larsson MC, Lundin O, Rundlöf M, Svensson GP, Anderbrant O & Lankinen Å (2015) Field abundance patterns and odor-mediated host choice by clover seed weevils, Apion fulvipes and A. trifolii (Coleoptera: Apionidae). Journal of Economic Entomology. 108: 492-503
- Nyabuga FN, Loxdale HD, Heckel DG, Weisser WW (2012) Coevolutionary fine tuning: evidence for genetic tracking between a specialist wasp parasitoid and its aphid host in a dual metapopulation interaction. Bulletin of Entomological Research. 102: 149-155
- Nyabuga FN, Völkl W, Schwörer U, Weisser WW & Mackauer M. (2012) Mating strategies in solitary aphid parasitoids: effect of patch residence time and ant attendance. Journal of Insect Behavior. 25: 80-95.
- Loxdale HD, Schöfl G, Wiesner KR, Nyabuga FN, Heckel DG & Weisser WW. (2011) Stay at home aphids: comparative spatial and seasonal metapopulation structure and dynamics of two specialist tansy aphid species studied using microsatellite markers. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 104: 838–865.
- Nyabuga FN, Loxdale HD, Heckel DG & Weisser WW. (2011) Temporal genetic structuring of a specialist parasitoid, Lysiphlebus hirticornis Mackauer (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) attacking a specialist aphid on tansy. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 102: 737–749.
- Nyabuga FN, Loxdale HD, Heckel DG and Weisser WW. (2010). Spatial population dynamics of a specialist aphid parasitoid, Lysiphlebus hirticornis Mackauer (Hymenoptera: Braconidae: Aphidiinae): evidence for philopatry and restricted dispersal. Heredity. 105: 433-442.
- Nyabuga FN, Outreman Y, Simon J-C, Heckel DG, and Weisser WW (2010). Effects of pea aphid secondary endosymbionts on aphid parasitoid Aphidius ervi: a correlative study. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. 136: 243-253.
- Nyabuga FN, Loxdale HD, Sharbel TF, Todd M, Weisser WW (2009). Microsatellites from Lysiphlebus hirticornis Mackauer (Hymenoptera: Braconidae), a specialist primary parasitoid attacking the specialist tansy aphid, Metopeurum fuscoviride Stroyan (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Molecular Ecology Resources.9: 931-934.
- Loxdale HD, Nyabuga FN, and Weisser WW (2008). The 'Cake on the plate' syndrome... and how specialist tansy aphids avoid extinction by hungry predators and parasitoids: insights from the use of polymorphic micro-satellite markers. In Rossing W, ed. Landscape Management for Functional Biodiversity. Bordeaux, France IOBC/wprs Bulletin, 61-64.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- AVDRC, The World Vegetable centre in Tainan - Taiwan. (2016). Presented a seminar entitled “Field abundance patterns and host choice by clover seed weevils”
- International Society of Chemical Ecology in Stockholm - Sweden. (2016). Presented a poster entitled “Clover seed weevils: Flowers for the females”.
- Deutsche Gesellschaft fur allgemeine und angewandte Entomologie (DGaaE) in Goettingen - Germany. (2009). Presented a talk on “The good life and hard times of Lysiphlebus hirticornis”
- International Foundation for Sustainable Development in Africa and Asia conference in Göttingen - Germany. (2007). Presented a poster entitled “Effect of aphid secondary symbionts on resistance against parasitoids”
Books/Book Chapters Published
- Nyabuga F. (2008). Sustainable Management of Cabbage Aphid and Bagrada Bugs: case study from Kenya. VDM Verlag. ISBN 10: 3639087100 / ISBN 13: 9783639087109