Dr. Michael Njoroge Githaiga Publications
Publications in Journals:
- Peter Musembi, Bernerd Fulanda, James Kairo & Michael Githaiga (2019) Species composition, abundance and fishing methods of small-scale fisheries in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya, Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, DOI: 10.1080/19480881.2019.1603608. https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/HrD2z2sf9xVkQkP9N3Q4/full?target=10.1080/19480881.2019.1603608
- Githaiga M.N., A.M. Frouws, J.G. Kairo and M. Huxham (2019). Seagrass Removal Leads to Rapid Changes in Fauna and Loss of Carbon. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2019.00062.
- Huxham M., D. Whitlock, M. Githaiga and A. Dencer-Brown (2018). Carbon in the Coastal Seascape: How Interactions Between Mangrove Forests, Seagrass Meadows and Tidal Marshes Influence Carbon Storage. Current Forestry Reports https://doi.org/10.1007/s40725-018-0077-4
- Githaiga, N. M., Gilpin, L., Kairo, J. G., & Huxham, M. (2016). Biomass and productivity of seagrasses in Africa. Botanica Marina, 59(2-3), 173–186. http://doi.org/10.1515/bot-2015-0075.
- Githaiga N. M., Kairo J. G, Gilpin L, Huxham M (2017) Carbon storage in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya. PLoS ONE 12(5): e0177001. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0177001.
- Maria Potouroglou James C. Bull, Ken W. Krauss, Hilary A. Kennedy Marco Fusi Daniele Daffonchio, Mwita M. Mangora, Michael N. Githaiga, Karen Diele, & Mark Huxham. SCIENTIFIC REPOrTS | 7: 11917 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-12354-y
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- 21st – 23rd March 2016: Oral presentation: “Effects of seagrass disturbance on sediment dynamics and on the benthic infauna communities at, Gazi Bay, Kenya at the 1st KCDP Conference at Voi Wildlife Lodge, Taita Taveta County, Kenya.
- 26th – 31st October 2015: Oral presentation on “Carbon stocks of seagrass meadows, Gazi Bay, Kenya at the 9th WIOMSA scientific symposium at Durban, South Africa.
- 25th – 28th August 2015: Oral presentation on “Status of seagrass biomass and productivity studies in Africa at the Africa Blue carbon workshop in Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Oct 29th - 2 Nov 2013 – Oral presentation on “Mangrove forest productivity patterns across intertidal gradients of Gazi Bay, Kenya”, at the 8th WIOMSA scientific symposium, Maputo Bay, Mozambique.
- July 25th-28th 2012 – Oral presentation at an International conference at Karatina University “Productivity patterns across intertidal gradients of Gazi Bay, Kenya”.
24th - 29th 2011 October 2011- Oral presentation titled ‘Structure and biomass accumulation estimates of natural mangrove forests along the intertidal complex of Gazi Bay, Kenya” at the 7th WIOMSA scientific symposium, Mombasa, Kenya.
- 16th - 19th November 2010 - Poster presentation, in Aquatic Resources of Kenya (ARC) conference in Naivasha organized by KMFRI.
Books/Book Chapters Published
- Githaiga N. M., (2017): The role of seagrass meadows in Gazi Bay, Kenya as carbon sinks. PhD Thesis, Edinburgh Napier University.
- Githaiga N. M., (2013): Structure and biomass accumulation of natural mangrove forests at Gazi Bay, Kenya. M.Sc. Thesis, Kenyatta University.
- Skov, M,Kairo J. G., Langat J. K., Huxham M.,Wanjiru C., Githaiga N. M., Hamza, A, Obinga, A (2011): Sampling forest structure and growth for biomass and carbon estimation training manual, John Ellermans.